Skip to main content

BSA203 Developing my project

I decided on my final project being done with facepaint and then photographs of that facepaint.
I am thinking of painting a portrait painting on someones face. This would mean I would do something already established and then, experimenting with facepainting techniques, I will try to alter the viewers ideas of what they are seeing. Basically, I will try to make a 3D surface look like 2D, I will try to make a real human face look unrealistic, and I will try to make a proportional human face unproportional. These will be the next things that I will experiment with in order to develop my project further.

To do this I first need to find some facepaint of good quality. I also need to find the another of people I will be using.
At the moment I am thinking of a 6 photo A4 series featuring two or three people, or a 3 photo A4 series featuring one, or two people.
I am also considering maybe an A3 photo that features two or three face painted people interacting in the actual image, however, to do this I would need everyone involved to be free on the same day and a camera that can take images of a higher quality that just my phone or camera.
I think it would look cool though.
The final outcome of this will depend on how good my face painting skills end up being as well as the time that people have.

I have a couple of people who have agreed to work with me. I asked my uncle because he has facial hair so I think that would add a whole new dimension on the face paint that I can do and how it will look in the end.

UPDATE:
I bought some pots of facepaint that were quite cheap but hopefully of a qulity that is good enough to use. I also bought some paint brushes to apply the paint with.
I practised with the paint. I found it quite good, however, there are a couple of problems. Firstly, dark colours hold very well but the lighter colours seem to crack a bit as they dry and don't seem to stick as well. The other issue I had is that they blend very quickly-not a huge problem- but it is a bit of a problem when you let the bottom layer dry so you can later paint over it and the top layer seems to "rub off" the bottom layer slightly. I think that, with some photo editing I should be able to fix any little problems such as those though.

The next thing I need to think about is the camera quality of the photos that I take. At the moment I am taking the photos with my phone, however, the quality isn't great as a result, and it will get worse when I blow the photos up. I am thinking that, because of this, it would be better to have a series of photos that are no bigger than A4 for what I present.

As of now I have two models. I have practiced on one, a young female face a couple of times and it has worked out quite well. This evening I will be trying out painting onto my uncles face. He is older and has a beard and I am interested to see how this affects the facepaint and whether I can use things like facial hair to my advantage in order to make a more "dynamic" photo.

At the moment I am trying to paint faces so they look like paintings of faces at first glance. Ie. I am trying to blend real life with art and blur the lines between the two. My facepainting skills need to improve to really achieve this aim but I am hoping that the more I practise, the better I will become.

UPDATE:

Examples of some of my first facepainting sessions:
























The last image is an edited version of the image before it. I wanted to try to make the face look as flat as possible to give the impression that it is not a real person, but a painting of one.

I will further develop this using photoshop. I plan to possibly cut out the backgrounds and further edit them so that they look like (hopefully) a flat, 2d, painted image at first glance rather than a person's painted face.

My reason for this is because I am trying to make a statement on how artwork is recognised and received differently depending on the perspective shown, and how that perspective can be manipulated by the creators of whatever form of art is being displayed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story

BSA126 Animation Character - Tim Lockwood, Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs.

Tim Lockwood Tim Lockwood is Flint's father in 'Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs'. I picked him because I think he is interesting because he doesn't have any eyes that we can see but the animators are able to show us his emotions purely by his eyebrow movements. Structurally, Tim's face is made up of very simple shapes, His eyebrows are a simple rectangle shape that has been given a hair-like texture design to show they are very bushy. His nose is also a rectangular shape with little realistic design apart from the flat rectangular shape. His mustache is similar to his eyebrows, only a slight curve to show gravity and to make his face seem more realistic. It also doubles as a mouth shape in many ways, similar to how his uni-brow doubles as eyes. The head shape itself is basically a conical shape with curving lines which indicates a chin. Tim Lockwood's personality is quite bland and conventional. Therefore, the shirt he wears is a pale, greyish b

BSA206 Animation History 1990s

Due to the success of The Simpsons , more experimental TV animation began emerging. The Tick was a 1994 animation that was based on Ben Edlund's absurdist superhero comic and adapted into an animated series by Fox. The Critic (1994) was created by The Simpsons writers. It is about a critic who hates contemporary films. Duckman  (1994) was created by Everett Peck and it was based on characters from his comic. It was aimed at an adult audience and Duckman was voiced by Jason Alexander from Sienfeld . The Big Story  depicts an argument between young Kirk Douglas and old Kirk Douglas. Quentin Tarantino liked it so much that he requested it to be played before Pulp Fiction screenings. The Big Story is a 1994 stop motion film that was nominated for an Oscar. It was created by Tim Watts and David Stoten who went on work on other films including working on the storyboards for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride . In 1995 Dave Brothwick created The Secret Adventures of T