Skip to main content

BSA206 project concepts

My scene that I am exploring is the multiverse scene from Dr. Strange, when Strange is pushed out from his body and thrown through multiple universes. The way this scene is filmed makes it feel very unstable and as a watcher, it makes the scene exciting and intense. It does this through using techniques of speeding up and slowing down time (in that it makes him fly through the scene one second and then slow motion the next) and bright surreal effects and backgrounds make the setting seem unstable, dangerous and alien. An eerie, echoing voice-over is the only thing that really seems to give the scene any understanding but it sounds detached and far away.

I am hoping to explore these techniques used in the hopes that I can successfully create a scene where I can try to convey the danger and instability that is felt by a character enters an unknown environment that he fears and doesn't understand.

I think my biggest issue with this will be trying to make an interesting story while also managing to make my intentions obvious to the viewer. I am planning to use a variety of live-action, green screen and perhaps rotoscoping and 2D animation also because I think this variety means that the scene will seem more unstable when it doesn't stay in it's one, expected medium.
I want to have my character himself filmed both live action, and rotoscoped. I also may want to draw extra arms and things growing on the rotoscoped actor to show that he is in a setting where he has no control or understanding of what is happening.

I am planning to achieve this by filming my flatmate in dynamic poses that I will decide beforehand after drawing up some thumbnails/storyboards.
An important thing for me to think about is how the character is going to enter and leave the psychedelic/dreamlike world. As of now I am thinking of making it that he either steps into a puddle that turns out to be a bottomless pit sort of this that he then "flips" into finishing upside down in a crazy world. This may be very complicated to achieve as it may be very effects-heavy. If it proves to be too complicated I might just make the puddle something that turns the character's world crazy when it is touched.

The next thing I need to do is to come up with a story, storyboarded, so I can figure out everything I need and how I will achieve it.
Once I have that I can figure out how I want it to look stylistically and, by referring back to the Dr. Strange scene, I can hopefully create a scene that takes a character to an unknown place and effectively portrays the instability and lack of control felt by the character in that environment.

Timeline:
Presentation is due 17th October
That gives me 2 weeks to work on story ideas and concepts. By 25th July I want to have my idea storyboarded and I want to have a rough idea of design and how I will make my scene (eg. what parts will be visual effects, rotoscoping, and a rough idea of the timing).
By the 3rd October I want to have my full scene complete. That gives me ten weeks to work on collecting all of the shots, adding effects, editing them together and putting in sound (which will probably be just ambient sounds to give the impression of an other-worldly experience). Any live-action shots I expect to shoot in a day, with maybe another day if I find I'm missing something. I want to do all my live-action shots within the first week of the ten week time period.
That gives me two weeks to the 17th Oct to organise all of my stuff together into a presentation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story

BSA126 Animation Character - Tim Lockwood, Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs.

Tim Lockwood Tim Lockwood is Flint's father in 'Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs'. I picked him because I think he is interesting because he doesn't have any eyes that we can see but the animators are able to show us his emotions purely by his eyebrow movements. Structurally, Tim's face is made up of very simple shapes, His eyebrows are a simple rectangle shape that has been given a hair-like texture design to show they are very bushy. His nose is also a rectangular shape with little realistic design apart from the flat rectangular shape. His mustache is similar to his eyebrows, only a slight curve to show gravity and to make his face seem more realistic. It also doubles as a mouth shape in many ways, similar to how his uni-brow doubles as eyes. The head shape itself is basically a conical shape with curving lines which indicates a chin. Tim Lockwood's personality is quite bland and conventional. Therefore, the shirt he wears is a pale, greyish b

BSA206 Animation History 1990s

Due to the success of The Simpsons , more experimental TV animation began emerging. The Tick was a 1994 animation that was based on Ben Edlund's absurdist superhero comic and adapted into an animated series by Fox. The Critic (1994) was created by The Simpsons writers. It is about a critic who hates contemporary films. Duckman  (1994) was created by Everett Peck and it was based on characters from his comic. It was aimed at an adult audience and Duckman was voiced by Jason Alexander from Sienfeld . The Big Story  depicts an argument between young Kirk Douglas and old Kirk Douglas. Quentin Tarantino liked it so much that he requested it to be played before Pulp Fiction screenings. The Big Story is a 1994 stop motion film that was nominated for an Oscar. It was created by Tim Watts and David Stoten who went on work on other films including working on the storyboards for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride . In 1995 Dave Brothwick created The Secret Adventures of T