Skip to main content

BSA225 Creating a 3D Animatic

Overall, once I figured out some basic maya skills, I found the 3D animatic fairly easy to do.

However, in creating my 3D animatic I ran into a few problems. Firstly, I was in a rush because I had just over a week to get it completed rather than two because I was going to be missing a few days of school. This stressed me out a little.

Also, I think because I started doing it in class in the computer lab that we had already gone through Maya settings, before taking the project to another computer room where I hadn't used Maya, the dimensions of the playblasted clips changed. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until I took the separate playblasted clips into AfterEffects. This means that mid-way through my 3D animatic, the dimensions of what's in the scene changes.

Another issue that I ran into was the sound from my 2D animatic couldn't be simply overlayed over the new 3D animatic because some of the timings were slightly off and I wasn't happy with it. To combat this I did the soundscape again. The soundscape is slightly different because I couldn't find a couple of the sounds I had used in the 2D animatic. The bang sound when the shoots are shown is a different sound in the 3D when compared with the 2D, however, I wasn't too fussed with this. I then reopened the project on the computer that I had started working on the 3D Animatic on and I found the final sound saved in the D drive that I couldn't find on the other computer.
Overall, the sound is definitely not as polished as I hope to have the final animation, but despite this, I think that it is a clear indication of the sound that I will be using and effectively conveys the atmosphere that I was hoping to create.

When I went to export the video from AfterEffects into a quicktime format, it worked the first time, unfortunately when I came to render out the finished product, at first the files corupted, and then they refused to be rendered out in .mov format so I had to resort to .avi. AVI worked though, so I just went with that instead of .mov as I figured it was still good enough quality to be understandable.

I think that the actual 3D is also a bit rougher than I would ideally like, but I also think that seeing it is only an animatic, it does effectively convey the movement of both the camera and the character and I think that, overall, it is understandable and sufficient enough for an animatic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story

BSA126 Animation Character - Tim Lockwood, Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs.

Tim Lockwood Tim Lockwood is Flint's father in 'Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs'. I picked him because I think he is interesting because he doesn't have any eyes that we can see but the animators are able to show us his emotions purely by his eyebrow movements. Structurally, Tim's face is made up of very simple shapes, His eyebrows are a simple rectangle shape that has been given a hair-like texture design to show they are very bushy. His nose is also a rectangular shape with little realistic design apart from the flat rectangular shape. His mustache is similar to his eyebrows, only a slight curve to show gravity and to make his face seem more realistic. It also doubles as a mouth shape in many ways, similar to how his uni-brow doubles as eyes. The head shape itself is basically a conical shape with curving lines which indicates a chin. Tim Lockwood's personality is quite bland and conventional. Therefore, the shirt he wears is a pale, greyish b

BSA206 Animation History 1990s

Due to the success of The Simpsons , more experimental TV animation began emerging. The Tick was a 1994 animation that was based on Ben Edlund's absurdist superhero comic and adapted into an animated series by Fox. The Critic (1994) was created by The Simpsons writers. It is about a critic who hates contemporary films. Duckman  (1994) was created by Everett Peck and it was based on characters from his comic. It was aimed at an adult audience and Duckman was voiced by Jason Alexander from Sienfeld . The Big Story  depicts an argument between young Kirk Douglas and old Kirk Douglas. Quentin Tarantino liked it so much that he requested it to be played before Pulp Fiction screenings. The Big Story is a 1994 stop motion film that was nominated for an Oscar. It was created by Tim Watts and David Stoten who went on work on other films including working on the storyboards for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride . In 1995 Dave Brothwick created The Secret Adventures of T