Skip to main content

BSA106 World Animation 1950-1965

Yugoslavia
The Duga Film Studio created "The Big Meeting" in 1951 to celebrate Yugoslavian identity.

Image result for Neighbours" in 1952
Canada
Norman McLaren created "Neighbours" in 1952 which used many types of effects. Some of the killing scenes were edited out for the Oscar submission, which the film won an Oscar in for the documentary category.

UK 
Halas and Batchelor created the first British animated film to get a general release, this film was "Animal Farm" in 1954, an animation based on the novel by George Orwell. The film was aimed at a predominantly adult audience as it retells the story of the emergence and development of Soviet communism in the form of a fable, allegorising the rise of Stalin.
Image result for Do it for yourself cartoon KitBob Godfrey made "Do it for yourself cartoon Kit" in 1961 in cutout animation, a style later adopted by Terry Gilliam in "Monty Python's Flying circus" in the 1970's.

Hungary/USA
While working in Hollywood, George Pal produced and directed "Tom Thumb" in 1958, creating effects by using a mixture of Giant sets, superimposition and stop frame animation. In 1959 the film won an Oscar for best special effects.

Image result for The Fabulous World of Jules Verne
Czech Republic
Karel Zeman made "The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" in 1958, a film that combined stop-frame and live action.

Croatia
Zagreb Film created "Samac" in 1958 which initiated a wave of existential films questioning and commenting on the human condition. The film won a prize at the Venice Film Festival.
Image result for Samac animation

Dusan Vukotic and Zagreb Film made "Surogat" in 1961, the first animated short film to win an Oscar that was not made in the USA. It is considered a modernist short that portrays a mans attempts to show off his gadgets at the beach, in a surrealist way.




Japan
Image result for "Legend of the White SnakeTaiji Yabushita made the first Japanese full-length animated colour feature, "Legend of the White Snake" in 1958. It was produced faster than Western features, and was based more of spectacle and special features rather than character animation. The style was imitated by other companies and is regarded as the roots of manga and anime.
Osamu Tezuka created a manga comic in 1952 called "Astro Boy" which was later developed into a TV series in 1963. The story was inspired by "Pinocchio. The style of "Astro Boy" later became known as anime.

Image result for Havoc in HeavenChina
Wan Laiming made "Havoc in Heaven", with part one completed and released in 1961 and part two in 1964. Both parts were edited together and screened in 1965. The story was based on a Buddhist Tale about the Monkey King.





Russia
Image result for Story of One CrimeFyodor Khitruk created "Story of One Crime" in 1962, a modernist style animation about a character driven to his wits end by human noise pollution. The film caused concern among the communist government who saw it as an attack on housing policies. However, the film open the door for a new generation of Russian animators to make grown up films containing irony, satire and originality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA126 Gump walks.

Gump Side Walk The side walk for Gump. I tried to make him seem as if he is a bit of a sloucher-almost as if he drags himself along the ground a bit. He's a bit of a lonely sad guy so I didn't want him looking too perky and happy.  Gump three quarter walk I tried to do the same slouchy, sad walk for the 3/4 walk animation, his head is bowed and I hope he doesn't look too happy. Gump front walk I tried to experiment a bit more with the front walk. My initial idea for Gump would be that although he walks upright, he resorts to a four legged walk at times because he is ment to be a bit primitive in his actions and appearance. I wasn't entirely happy with how the walk turned out and it could definitely do with a few tweaks but I'm happy in the sense that his four-legged walking style gives him a bit of personality.  I'm still not fully satisfied with the character design of Gump but I am getting closer to figuring out what I want and what ...

BSA126 Bird, Cat, Dog, Horse.

Exporting in quicktime stopped working again because the videos export with a black background for some reason and this ment that you couldn't see the animations as they are drawn in black.  Bird My bird flight featured a flying seal, I'm not sure why. I enjoyed making the bird fly, although I had to do it twice because the first time I animated him flying backwards-or something weird.  Dog I used a reference to animate the dog walk before adding hair which made him look more homeless and mongrel-like. Then I felt a bit bad for the poor dog, it's probably a good thing that uploading it as an animation didn't work out, it's too sad.  Horse The Horse was fun to do because I like horses. I animated the walk first and then added in a cart because I had some extra time. The man on the cart was done a bit lazily and he sort of shrinks and grows with each frame, but it's not really about him anyway so I don't mind. The horse himself...

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story ...