Skip to main content

BSA203 Reflection/Reflexive dialogue on project.

I have narrowed my question down to focusing more on the idea of how different people's perspectives/realities shape how they view the art around them and, to some extent, also how they view themselves as a result of that.
I chose to take this path because I think that it is a more focused look into my initial question, while also remaining the "truest" to my initial question. I find this idea interesting because I have noticed that people's opinions on things seem to be almost directly related to how they perceive the world themselves. I think that by bringing this idea into the forefront of a piece of artwork, maybe people will be able to question themselves and their own opinions of what they consider "reality" (that is; what a person considers to be real and true in both the external world, and in their own internal world), and why they hold those opinions.
I'm not sure how I'm going to complete this aim - or even what I'm expecting my finished project to take the form of, However, I have a few ideas that I will look into.
So far I have been experimenting with things where I try to see something in a completely different way to how it is usually seen. Ive tried drawing using only my peripheral vision before comparing it to a front-on drawing and considering the differences, which one is more effective, and how they differ on technical terms so I know what the most important technical elements are. I also looked into drawing something from differing perspectives and using unusual shapes to create a piece of art that could be recognisable as various different things depending on how you think about it. I thought about how children use condensation-y windows as a "canvas". I recognise that this is a very common, almost instinctive thing for children to do and I wondered how the change of becoming an adult takes that perspective/reality away from people. I did some simple drawings on a window and edited the photographs to make them seem more artistic and this was to try to show how a drawing on a window can be as interesting as a "proper" piece of artwork done in a more conventional way.
Some problems I think that I may have in portraying a final piece, as well as in continuing explaining my ideas to an audience will be the fact that the nature of my research is very abstract and subjective. This is because people's own personal realities will all have subtle differences. In contrast to this, some people might confuse my use of the word "reality" to mean "how society and the world works" on an external level more than an internal, reflective level. This isn't the idea that I am hoping to convey, if anything, I am trying to make people question their reality and the way that society tells us reality is. I'm hoping to encourage the idea that, if we are all subjective beings, then reality can't be in a black and white-this is real, this isn't-spectrum. I personally think that the truth of what is reality is far more vague than what society tells us it is. I think trying to find the middle ground between the paradox of trying to get people to both collectively think about the topic in a similar vein to how I do so they can understand what I am trying to say, while also telling people that reality isn't a collective, cemented thing but rather a subjective idea dependant on person to person will be the biggest obstacle in my work, and it's result. To combat this I think I will ask other's opinions on what they consider the word "reality" to mean in order to gauge more of an understanding on other people's definitions of the word so I can better tailor how I go about creating it to make it more understandable for the majority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story

BSA126 Animation Character - Tim Lockwood, Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs.

Tim Lockwood Tim Lockwood is Flint's father in 'Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs'. I picked him because I think he is interesting because he doesn't have any eyes that we can see but the animators are able to show us his emotions purely by his eyebrow movements. Structurally, Tim's face is made up of very simple shapes, His eyebrows are a simple rectangle shape that has been given a hair-like texture design to show they are very bushy. His nose is also a rectangular shape with little realistic design apart from the flat rectangular shape. His mustache is similar to his eyebrows, only a slight curve to show gravity and to make his face seem more realistic. It also doubles as a mouth shape in many ways, similar to how his uni-brow doubles as eyes. The head shape itself is basically a conical shape with curving lines which indicates a chin. Tim Lockwood's personality is quite bland and conventional. Therefore, the shirt he wears is a pale, greyish b

BSA206 Animation History 1990s

Due to the success of The Simpsons , more experimental TV animation began emerging. The Tick was a 1994 animation that was based on Ben Edlund's absurdist superhero comic and adapted into an animated series by Fox. The Critic (1994) was created by The Simpsons writers. It is about a critic who hates contemporary films. Duckman  (1994) was created by Everett Peck and it was based on characters from his comic. It was aimed at an adult audience and Duckman was voiced by Jason Alexander from Sienfeld . The Big Story  depicts an argument between young Kirk Douglas and old Kirk Douglas. Quentin Tarantino liked it so much that he requested it to be played before Pulp Fiction screenings. The Big Story is a 1994 stop motion film that was nominated for an Oscar. It was created by Tim Watts and David Stoten who went on work on other films including working on the storyboards for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride . In 1995 Dave Brothwick created The Secret Adventures of T