Skip to main content

Group Project

In the meeting today myself and Daisy wrote up the "About Us" and "Aims" part of the proposal, which I typed up later and send to Sylvester.
I am waiting for the script and concept art to be completed so myself and the other storyboarders can start storyboarding.
In my head, storyboarding shouldn't take more than a week because there are four of us so it shouldn't take too long.

I spent about 3 hours working on the proposal layout with Tim.

I wrote up a draft for the media release and worked on the storyboards with Laura.
I completed some of the linework and colouring on the storyboards.
I went around the CBD, South City and to SIT Sound and Main Campus to put up some posters for the casting call. I also wrote up a thing about the crew for the website.

I did the role of VFX supervisor for one day of filming.
I think put the shot list up onto shotgun.
I have been regularly putting up photos from the BTS onto Facebook in order to try and generate more traffic to the site and more interest in the film.

I updated the shot list on shotgun, stabilized some of the shots, did some testing for the compositing and tracked the camera in some of the shots so they are ready for compositing.

I've been compositing which took a long time and I struggled a bit but it was fun and I slept for ages afterwards. So that was fun.

68 hours in the meeting (and work done during meetings).
70 hours Compositing
12 hours on preproduction stuff
5 hours of filming
4 hours for Marketing Crew

All up I worked about 159 hours on the project.

Looking back on the project...
I think that overall we worked well together and we had a good time while making a pretty good product. In terms on my own performance, I don't like a lot of the shots that I composited. I struggled with making the animation fit with the handheld camera in a few shots where the manual tracking didn't really seem to work. I think I put a lot of effort in though seeing as I had a lot of sleepless night working on them. I think that the lack of knowledge about how we were going to combine the animation with the film was one of the reasons that this happened. We didn't really seem to know (or at least I didn't know) what direction the animation was going in until the very end and I think this lack of organisation made our workflow less efficient than it could have been. In terms of the compositing team as a whole, I think that Roderigo and Rori put a lot of work in with me. I also really appreciated the help we got from Laura, Sylvester and Morgan when we were rushing to the end. I found the storyboarding team worked quite well together too, earlier on in the project.
The main issues I found in terms of production was the multiple naming conventions used and the lack of vision when it came to the animation aspect.
I was onset VFX supervisor one day which I thought was a bit of a waste of time because of the lack of foresight in terms of what we needed for the animation. For example, there were shots that needed a cleanplate that weren't shot with a clean plate or, (more likely), the clean plate was shot but with a hand-held camera so the footage didn't really fit anyway. Mainly I think the reason I found the day filming was a bit of a waste of time because it was cold and I was standing around a lot not really knowing what I was doing there. It was fun though, my favorite part was when Glenn arrived with lunch.
I think that the finished product was OK. I think we pretty much managed to capture what we wanted to achieve with the story, although the ending felt rushed. I thought the shadows looked brilliant.
I think the premier night was good and I think I did an OK job of being MC. I enjoyed the premier night. I think that we did a good job of filling up the room and people seemed to enjoy themselves. I enjoyed working with my classmates throughout the semester. I was really impressed with Sylvester, Roderigo, Laura and Glenn in terms with the amount of effort they all seemed to put in. They were the ones who I think helped me most from the group by going above and beyond to get things done. All of them pulled at least one all-nighter with me, Roderigo pulled an all-nighter every single night I did-and then some more-so I think he deserves the "no-sleep" award. I think my favorite part of the project was working with the people in the compositing team in the early hours of the morning, especially Roderigo and Rori who helped me to composite, stay awake and have a bit of a laugh by sharing quality bonding time with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA106 German Expressionism.

German Expressionism in film came about after WW1, after Germany lost the war. Germany wanted to revitalise the film industry and to create a better impression for the country. The German government subsidised the UFA (Universum-film AG), whose studios were the largest and best equipped in Europe. This became Germans golden age of cinema. German Expressionist film lasted from 1919 to 1933 when Adolf Hitler came into power. Unlike other Western films of that period that focused more so on creating realism, German Expressionism distorts reality to create an emotional effect. Expressionism films employed stylised set design, elaborate costuming, shadowy lighting that emphasises bold contrasts of dark and bright highlights and unnatural make-up. The settings are typically distorted and exaggerated, with key themes being madness, criminality and fracturing of identity. German Expressionism was a huge influence in developing the horror genre. They began to tell the story

BSA126 Animation Character - Tim Lockwood, Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs.

Tim Lockwood Tim Lockwood is Flint's father in 'Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs'. I picked him because I think he is interesting because he doesn't have any eyes that we can see but the animators are able to show us his emotions purely by his eyebrow movements. Structurally, Tim's face is made up of very simple shapes, His eyebrows are a simple rectangle shape that has been given a hair-like texture design to show they are very bushy. His nose is also a rectangular shape with little realistic design apart from the flat rectangular shape. His mustache is similar to his eyebrows, only a slight curve to show gravity and to make his face seem more realistic. It also doubles as a mouth shape in many ways, similar to how his uni-brow doubles as eyes. The head shape itself is basically a conical shape with curving lines which indicates a chin. Tim Lockwood's personality is quite bland and conventional. Therefore, the shirt he wears is a pale, greyish b

BSA206 Animation History 1990s

Due to the success of The Simpsons , more experimental TV animation began emerging. The Tick was a 1994 animation that was based on Ben Edlund's absurdist superhero comic and adapted into an animated series by Fox. The Critic (1994) was created by The Simpsons writers. It is about a critic who hates contemporary films. Duckman  (1994) was created by Everett Peck and it was based on characters from his comic. It was aimed at an adult audience and Duckman was voiced by Jason Alexander from Sienfeld . The Big Story  depicts an argument between young Kirk Douglas and old Kirk Douglas. Quentin Tarantino liked it so much that he requested it to be played before Pulp Fiction screenings. The Big Story is a 1994 stop motion film that was nominated for an Oscar. It was created by Tim Watts and David Stoten who went on work on other films including working on the storyboards for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride . In 1995 Dave Brothwick created The Secret Adventures of T